Saturday, April 30, 2011

ARIZONA

A friend asked me what I hope to gain by visiting my father’s gravesite in Arizona. That’s a good question that I’m sure I’ll deal with more as the time gets closer. For now I’m not real sure other than to know that there must be some personal reason that I’d like to go out there. All I can think of now is maybe it’s my way of reconnecting with Dad in some esoteric manner. I know that is a bit silly since I really can’t connect to him. Nevertheless, I think it does something for us to stand in remembrance of our family and friends. All through the Bible, God tells His people to remember many acts of faith, deliverance, and history. Even Christ spoke the words, “Do this in remembrance of Me.” Whatever it is that I seek by going out there, I hope I find it or it finds me. Although barely a week goes by that I don’t dream of my father, including last night, his death is something that I dealt with many years ago. So, I don’t think it is anything like that. I think that it’s been nearly twenty years since I’ve visited his gravesite and it’s one thing that I sought to do once more before I die myself. Arizona is a long way to go but at least I’ll be flying out there. My older brother and I are traveling there together.

No comments:

Post a Comment