Friday, April 15, 2011

MAD AT GOD

I listened as a letter was read on the radio from a woman who was “outraged at God for allowing” something bad to happen to her. My first reaction was, “I bet she’s never responsible for anything going wrong; it’s always someone else’s fault, even God’s.” I thought about her reaction for quite a while; it just bothered me. I know, I know, having anger at God is part of the disappointment and grieving process. But should it be? In order to be angry or outraged at God, we must think He did something wrong or didn’t do something He should have done: God’s actions/inactions were wrong. Do we realize that we are judging God when we do that? Do we realize that we are putting ourselves above God and telling Him how disappointed we are in His actions/inactions. I wonder if we realize just how arrogant, haughty, and presumptuous that is. When something happens that we don’t understand we shouldn’t presume God did wrong. Perhaps we should presume that some things are beyond our understanding and that sometimes our faith isn’t strong enough to accept it. In cases of death, we should realize that our perspective is different than God’s. Our loss is often God’s gain. The next time we get mad at God we should reflect on just who we are, and who we are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment