Thursday, April 14, 2011

REMEMBER ME

My Godmother, Louise, is perhaps the iconic saintliest and most church-going person I’ve ever known. I say iconic to mean what most people think when they hear the word saint. To me though, there is no truer saint than Eileen. Anyway, there wasn’t anything Louise wouldn’t do to help or aid someone, especially if it helped get them to church. Yet, in her final years, she died a lonely woman. A nursing home worker told me that I was the only person who came to see her once dementia overtook her. I visited her three times a week making a 50 mile round trip each time. In her latter days, I talked to about her impending death and then bent down close to one ear and whispered, “Remember me.” I’m not sure why I did that but I’m glad I did. Perhaps it has been her eternal prayers which have helped bless my life.

I’m also reminded of the “thief” on the cross next to Jesus who cried for Jesus to “remember me.” It’s good to be remembered and to have Grace showered upon us in being remembered. We are very thankful to all those who remember us in their prayers on this side of eternity and the other. We need your prayers and we thank you for them. A good friend prayed aloud for my family and me the other day and she also made an interesting prayer request. She prayed for my writing of the blog and for you who read it. As a matter of fact, I remember you each time I write my blog and I remember you in my prayers. Please “remember me” (and my family).

No comments:

Post a Comment