Wednesday, April 20, 2011

THE THING TO ASK

We were sitting in the movie theater Saturday night waiting for the movie to start. The house lights were still turned up and movie trivia was playing across the screen. Not only had we not heard of most of the movies but we’d never heard of most of the actors and actresses either. That is when I asked Eileen a question that you might find a bit weird. I asked Eileen if she ever wished that she had married someone else. A few days later I asked a similar question, “If you had to do it all over again, would you want to marry me or would you perhaps take your chances on someone else?” I knew her responses before she answered because I live in the vast love that she extends to me every day: Her love never takes a day off. If I knew her answer, why did I ask then? Am I that insecure? Do I feel that undeserving of her? Perhaps, but some things are good to hear regardless. For example, I know Eileen loves me but I still like to hear her say it to me. Besides, after nearly thirty-two years of marriage and Eileen telling me that she expects me to hang in there a lot more years, it just seemed like the thing to ask!!

No comments:

Post a Comment