Friday, June 4, 2010

Truly Happy

I came across a quote by Groucho Marx which says, “Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.”
In my June 1, 2009, blog I wrote: “A husband and wife are in an auto accident. He gets out screaming at the dead deer which jumped into his path. On the other hand, the wife falls to her knees and thanks God that neither of them was injured. Both were in the same accident, but they chose different attitudes and perspectives.” It is certainly harder to keep a graceful attitude during a time of crisis, but too often we keep a less than graceful attitude even when there is no crisis at all!! In other words, negativity becomes our habitual way of thinking. Then to escape the pain of our habitual negativity, we begin blaming others for our misery and look to anything or anyone for relief. I commonly tell people, “You will never find true happiness in a pill, powder, potion, or another person. True happiness is a matter which needs to be settled between you and God.” Catch this: Before we can keep events from making us truly unhappy, we need to make sure events are not what make us truly happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment