Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Remission and Cure

It feels a little odd that I’m writing about my CT scan. It seems that is wasn’t too long ago that I wrote about it; but that was a year ago. At 9am yesterday, I drank the barium smoothie. Again, I’m not sure who they are trying to kid by calling it a smoothie. I got it down fine but there was nothing “smoothie” about it. I arrived a little before my 10am appointment. I filled out some paperwork and then paid my co-pay. After waiting about twenty minutes they called me back. Last year I had to drink two barium smoothies. This year I only had to have one. I thought maybe I wouldn’t have to have the IV needle too this year. I thought wrong. The tech inserted the needle and then said to my arm/needle, “No, don’t do this to me!” Coincidentally, I was thinking the same thing!! Then she did a little wallowing around with the BIG needle until she finally got it in the vein correctly. I was a little uptight and the perspiration was beginning to rain as she did this. She then did the IV flush which I could feel so I presumed the needle was well into the vein. I gingerly walked where she instructed me into the CT suite, not wanting to dislodge the needle. I had to take my phone off and belt too. I had to do that with my left arm which had the needle in it. That was a little exquisite but not too bad. While lying on the CT scanner, she told me that I’d feel a strong warmth and a sensation like I was wetting my pants. She asked if I remembered that from last year. I smiled and said, “Oh, yes, I remember.” Well, she assured me that it was just a sensation but nothing would be happening. She gave me the dosage which seemed stronger than last year. Perhaps it seemed stronger because last year I expected the worst and this year I didn’t. In no time, the study was completed. Despite the initial needle trouble, the experience was far better this year than last year. The tech did great.
At 9am this morning I’ll be with Dr. Tan, if he is on time!! What are my feelings right now? Well, I’m expecting very good news. At the worst, I’m expecting “remission.” At the best, I’m expecting “cure.” I’d be especially thankful for anything between the two also!! I’m fairly resigned to still having to take Gleevec at some dosage. Hopefully it will be a lower intensity. I’m also somewhat resigned to having to have another bone biopsy, but I will try to talk Dr. Tan out of it!! No, I’m not kidding!!
In other news, the publisher people are keeping me busy. They also asked if I had a list of people I want them to notify by email when the book is about to be released. I’m still thinking about how to handle that one.
Well, that’s about it for today. Tomorrow will be the news that I’ve been waiting to hear for the last six months. Hopefully, it’s the news I’ve been waiting to hear since I was diagnosed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment