Tuesday, June 29, 2010

End of Day One

The surgery on Eileen was quite extensive. Nearly every structure in her pelvis area had to be worked on directly or indirectly. She is on a morphine pump and describes her pain as a “3” on a scale of one to ten. The morphine gets taken away from her tomorrow; we’ll see how she does from there.
I’m in the hospital room next to Eileen, typing while she sleeps. The room has internet access so I’ll be able to post this right after writing it. Anyway, I’ll be sleeping here tonight. The room is set up for someone to stay the night in a recliner or a long (6’) padded bench. +++ The doctor just came and checked on Eileen. She told Eileen that she’d be here for two days because of the extensive work that was done on her. The doctor answered some of my anatomical questions and then said she’d be back in the morning. Anyway, I’ll spend at least the first night here. Our daughter-in-law and youngest daughter are bringing a few things that we didn’t think of, including an arm sleeve for my right arm. This is a very nice room with an individual thermostat. It’s a lot warmer in here now than when we first got in here!! The nurses’ station has all kinds of drinks and snacks available to the patient and family. All-in-all, it’s a great place but I really don’t like hospitals…even as a visitor. But, I’m really not a visitor right now; I’m a caretaker. I must be doing a great job because Eileen is back to sleep!!

No comments:

Post a Comment