Sunday, June 13, 2010

Inner Man

I spoke to a group of prisoners at a local prison on Friday. Although I have visited prisoners before, this was the first time I addressed a group of them. What was it like? I’m about to tell you.
First, the prisoners were very courteous, attentive, and interactive. When I asked questions, they offered answers. The first couple of questions I asked were, “What is a 51 year old man, who has cancer, who struggles with sleeping at night, doing getting up early enough to be talking to you at 7am? Why am I here?” Other questions I asked, “How many of you have ever said that you are never coming back to prison? Why does the recidivism rate say that some of you will be back?”
In my talk I stressed that if the man inside doesn’t change, they will hang out again with the same old friends, think and behave the same old ways, and get the same old prison results. I emphasized that their world will never be right unless they get the man inside them right. Further, I highlighted that there are no excuses, no one else to blame, and no one else who can get the man right except themselves. Judging by their interaction, I think we connected very well and a few lights were turned on. Finally, I went through the Five Pillars of spiritual growth as ways to get their inner man right.
Just like when I have visited inmates before, I came away with a distinct impression. These prisoners are the same as you and me except that they have made some bad decisions which cross the legal line. Yet, we struggle with the same things as them: Getting the man/woman right within us. We too blame everyone else and think others owe us. My recent blogs have highlighted our struggle with being “takers” rather than “givers,” and how we think happiness can be found in a pill, powder, potion, or another person. The only difference between us and the prisoners is that they were “takers” a bit more than we are. Finally, we don’t have to look in a prison to see that decisions have consequences. Our families and society are reeling from decisions which are both legal and illegal, yet both against the will of God.
I hope the prisoners enjoyed our interaction as much as I did; I think they did. My prayer is that they get their inner man right so they will make Right decisions in life and travel Right paths.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you presented the questions to the inmates. I will keep this in mind. For I believe that no matter what kind of prison we find ourselves in physical or mental the only way out is to change from the inside out with the power of God and your acceptance of responsibility. How encouraging to see the lights go on even if just for one. Blessings

    ReplyDelete