Sunday, May 22, 2011

CELEBRATE OTHERS

First of all, if you are reading this then the world didn’t end yesterday!! [See May 17th post.] So, I’ll blog on. I’m going to change the pace Celebrate Othersfor a moment by telling you something that I said to Eileen. I told her that I don’t know how she could be a better wife. How can I truly mean that? Is Eileen perfect? No, but I cannot tell you in which way(s) she is not. Why can’t I? First of all, I don’t look for perfection and so I don’t make the comparative analysis. Secondly, I take special notice of the wonderful person that she is and I celebrate that. Have you ever tried to have a bad attitude, bad perspective, find fault, or complain when you are celebrating something wonderful? It’s hard to do isn’t it? The greatest determinant of our happiness is the way we choose to view life. I choose to view my marriage through the eyes of gratitude, thankfulness, and celebration.

I must admit that there is another component in all of this: Eileen’s role. Eileen takes great pride in being a terrific wife and mother. It delights her. She doesn’t look to what others in the family can do to make her life more meaningful. Eileen finds meaning, purpose, and great satisfaction by being the wife and mother she feels called to be.

So, what about you? Do you seek to be the spouse or person you are called to be? Or, are you in constant search for someone or some situation to make you happy and give you meaning? Do you celebrate the wonderful things in others or are you in the emotional habit of being in a perpetual complaining mode, dwelling on people’s or your spouse’s imperfections? Much of happiness is a choice; what is yours?

Proverbs 31:28 “Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment