Monday, January 10, 2011

Survival

I’m reading a book titled “Unbroken: A World War II story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption.” I’m only half way through it but it serves as a reminder of what so many of our countrymen and women have endured to allow us to live the lives we live. After reading what some of these people endured, it might be a few days before I can write again on my symptoms. In comparing my cancer and arm battle to what they endured, there is no comparison. Although our life problems and symptoms are very real and nothing to dismiss, I sometimes wonder if we complain too easily. Even that which causes us great grief and inconvenience today was the way of life not too long ago. It seems that as advancements in medicine and convenience make our lives less painful and bothersome, we become less resistant to adverse situations. More and more people are on anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and anti-everything else drugs. We have become so malleable that we have to be medicated for about every emotional or physical upset that comes our way. That’s not to say that some don’t really need it. As I read through this book though, I wonder if we are as strong of a people and nation as what we need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment