Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Electric Bill

I could have howled when I saw our electric bill for the last month. It’s the highest electric bill that we’ve ever had. We’re not alone. Many I talk to are experiencing the same thing. It seems we’ve had more unseemly low temperatures this year than in recent years and the heating bills have escalated. I could use a little global warming about now…so could our electric bill!! A friend says not to worry about it as his wife works for the power company. In fact, he encouraged me to leave more lights on and keep the house warmer so that his wife would get a nicer bonus this year. I suppose one man’s pain is another man’s pleasure!! As we were talking, he pointed out a man who has breakfast with his brother and father almost every day. I about said, “I sure would like to have breakfast with my father right now,” but I didn’t. It came to my mind that this friend grew up without a father at home. I’m sure he would have liked to have a father around all his childhood like I did. I kept quiet for the time being. I mentioned it to him later when the timing seemed better. We all have our burdens to bear and we sure don’t have to look too far to see others who carry a heavier one. Nevertheless, I have one more reason to not like cold weather besides my arm…our electric bill!!

No comments:

Post a Comment