Tuesday, December 13, 2011

HAIRCUT

I generally go to “Cuts-by-Us” to get my hair cut. I don’t know if it is a national chain or regional one. I take my chances with who cuts myHaircut hair as I don’t make an appointment. I just walk in and get the next barber/stylist in rotation. I suppose if I ever got a really good cut or a really bad one that I’d change my ways. One advantage of having a different one each time is that the person cutting my hair doesn’t really get to know me. It seems that when one used to get to know me he/she keeps cutting as long as she has something to say. I’d rather they just cut my hair. I’m just that way. If my hair is getting cut or my teeth etc. are getting worked on, I’d rather they concentrate on the job at hand rather than let their mind be divided onto some other subject. Anyway, I was sitting there getting my hair cut, my mind was a thousand miles away. I then looked into the mirror and saw a bunch of white hair on the shoulders of my cape. I was surprised. I don’t really see my hair as being white. But sure as I watched, white hair continued to gather on the cape. I looked at my head and still saw more of an auburn color that I’ve had since my hair turned from red decades ago. When I got back in the car and then when I got home I looked closely at my hair. Sure enough it is much whiter than I had noticed.

I suppose there are many things in life like that. Age and attitude come to mind. They seem to slowly develop and take their place with our bodies without our permission and often without us noticing. While there are some things like age that we can’t do anything about, we can certainly do something about the attitude we carry. One of the greatest gifts we can give our children, grandchildren, and society is to age with grace. Some people inwardly resent growing older and the changes that age deals us. Nevertheless, we can choose our perspectives and attitudes regardless of what happens to us. We may not be able to control everything that happens to us but we need to remember that those events don’t come with an attitude. Attitude is something we actively or passively choose to attach to the events… and we should choose our attitudes wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment