Thursday, December 1, 2011

BUYING

Black Friday and Cyber Monday have passed for another year. ItBuying appears that sales were strong and signs point to a good Christmas retail season despite a very tough economy. Although I’m not one to venture out to stores on Black Friday, I did partake in a couple of Cyber Monday deals from the comfort of my chair. Even though I like to support local businesses, there is a point in which the price and convenience of shopping from home take precedence. I’m sure many of you feel the same way.

Regardless of where we shop for Christmas gifts, I hope we stop and think about what we’re doing. Obviously, there is the “reason for the season” which really goes without saying. Additionally, we should examine what we are trying to do with our buying? Are we trying to buy happiness, curry favor, or advance love with the person we are giving to? Are we so desperate for certain unfulfilled emotions that we will empty the bank in an attempt to secure it? Well, I hope our gift-giving is a whole lot simpler than that and I hope that we remember that “stuff” is not what creates true happiness. There’s a saying which bears keeping in mind: "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment