Saturday, October 1, 2011


I returned from running some errands and noticed a message on ourEKG Results answering machine. The message was from Dr. Tan’s office regarding my EKG test results. I was asked to return their call regarding my “heart report.” That put a surge in my system. At my last visit, Dr. Tan left it with me that I’d call his “Patient Navigator” a week after the test was performed to get the results. Instead, his office was calling me just a couple of days after the test. On the message, “Dawn” left her phone number and extension. That seemed odd because my Patient Navigator’s name is Tiffany, not Dawn.

Ever since the EKG I’ve been confident about my results but concerned about what a bad test result would mean. After all, during the test, they were only going to do the heart CT scan if it was indicated. The technician must have seen enough to warrant the CT. Remembrances of my father’s heart disease, and his father’s heart disease, and others came rushing to me. What if the doctor said that I needed to have my chest opened so they could perform bypass surgery like they said to my father when he was still in his forties? How many second opinions would I get? Would I take my chances or would I jump on that ever revolving merry-go-round of heart medications and surgeries? I tried not to think about it.

Before I called Dr. Tan’s office, all this flashed before me again. In addition, my blog readers know that Dr. Tan’s office has had their share of communication problems in the past. Are they turning over a new leaf by calling me? Or, is there something urgent in my EKG report that Dr. Tan wants to talk to me about? I hesitated no longer. I picked up the phone and called Dr. Tan’s office.

I asked for Dawn’s extension. She answered immediately. I told her who I was and that I was calling about my EKG results. She thanked me for calling and said, “Dr. Tan asked me to call you and tell you that your heart tests came back normal.” I about melted with gladness. I told her thank you and asked her for a copy of the report. She said she’d have it waiting at the front desk. I hung up and said, “Thank you, God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment