Thursday, October 27, 2011


I went to see the neurologist, Dr. Porter, yesterday. My family doctorNeurologist referred me to him to get an updated evaluation on the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) of my right arm. For those who don’t know, I have a neurological condition in which the nerves in my right hand/arm are very sensitive. When my arm is exposed to a noxious stimulus like cold air, drafts, or vibration the nerves reflex back and tell my blood vessels to shut the blood down to my arm. So, then my arm tissues go without sufficient oxygen which is a rather painful predicament.

I’ve been battling this condition for over twenty years now. I’ve had some marked improvement from a specialized surgery to cut some of these nerves to my arm and nerve blocks. Although I am immensely grateful for the improvements, the residual pain has been a very stubborn entity to deal with. It seems that I’ve been on enough different medications to have my own pharmacy.

My family doctor wanted me to get a neurologist’s opinion since it had been many years since a neurologist opined on my condition. I wasn’t too thrilled about it because I don’t like to go to doctors and I don’t like trying new pharmaceutical concoctions. Nevertheless, I consented to go.

Dr. Porter seemed intrigued by all the surgeries that had been done on my arm and the atrophic shape it is in. After conducting a neurological exam, he explained his strategy in treating RSD. He said that it takes an aggressive approach. I thought, “Oh, here we go again.” But he said that I was too old and my arm too compromised for his normal approach!! I know I’m getting older but it was quite a shock to have a doctor refer to me as old!! However, he said that he had some advanced medicines that he thinks will decrease my arm pain by at least twenty percent without using narcotics. That sounded good to me. Dr. Porter wants me off my current pain killers and narcotic so that he can better regulate my dosage.

With the winter months (cold) approaching, I’m ready to give this medicine a full chance. There’s been one glitch already though. Dr. Porter’s office called me to tell me that my prescription had been called in. I went to my pharmacy and they have no record of it. It’s too late in the afternoon (Wednesday) to get in touch with the doctor’s office so I’ll be getting that sorted out today. I suspect they called the wrong pharmacy.

So, once again I begin a new protocol with ample but cautious hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment