Sunday, October 30, 2011

DRUG INTERACTIONS

The neurologist printed off and handed me a drug interaction sheetDrug Interactions which listed my drugs. He didn’t say anything about it other than to read it. The first drug interaction on the list of my drugs is categorized as “Serious Interactions – Use Alternative.” It appears that the combination of two of my medications causes addiction to opiates. Well, I could have guessed something like that since I can feel the withdrawal effects since I’ve stopped taking the old medicines. I’m not craving the medication, probably because I despise taking it so much, but my body is going through a tough time. No wonder people with chemical dependencies will often doctor shop and everything else to not go through this.

Listed under “Significant Interaction – Monitor closely” are four different combinations that each warn of “significant increased sedation – monitor closely.” I suppose that just one of these combinations could explain some of my fatigue, but with four of them doing it it’s a wonder that I’m ever awake!! However, three of those combinations are going away as they are the ones I’m advised to discontinue. The last sedation combination has to remain because it is caused by my Gleevec and anti-nausea medicine. I need those. The others were helping me deal with arm pain. It seems that unless the drug interactions are life threatening the doctors don’t worry so much about them. After all they have more drugs to counteract any side effects…and on and on. As long as the drug gives the desired effect, the side effects don’t mean so much. I think a little differently… as in risk and reward.

Well, it’s the weekend so I certainly won’t get a call back from my family doctor. As I’ve mentioned since I started this cancer trek, the management within doctor’s offices is terrible. The doctors might be great but it can be very frustrating getting through their atrocious office procedures. Dr. Tan’s office seems to have hired a practice manager; they’ve improved a lot. But there are so many doctors that seem to have major bureaucracies built between the doctor and the patient. Perhaps my question is one they’ve received a hundred times and it’s a low priority. Nevertheless, I’m only asking it once and a lot seems to be riding on the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment