Monday, November 7, 2011

THE FROG AND ME

My oldest brother took me out to the woods today. He was going to beDSC_0004 hunting deer while I brought a camera and a video camera. I’ve never been much of a hunter. I was stationed in an elevated shooting hut while my brother was in a tree stand about a hundred yards away. I climbed the stand and opened the door. One of the first things I noticed was a little tree frog on the back of a chair. I moved the chair to a better position but just left the frog alone. Soon though, he was on the ledge of one of the windows. I took its picture.

Just sitting there is what I did for several hours. Time passed by quickly though as I watched for deer, looked through binoculars, did some texting, and just sat and thought. My brother said, “He does his best thinking in the shower and tree stand: The tree stand uses less water.” That kind of applies to me too. The serenity of being out in the woods is amazing. It gave a lot of time to just sit and think. At times I just sat there and looked at the frog on the ledge.

Soon the sun went down but I hadn’t seen a single deer. It was time to pack up and head back. I guess the little frog had to leave too because I checked on him just before I climbed out of the tree stand. He was gone. My brother drove the four-wheeler with me on the back through the paths in the woods and then on the dirt roads back to the car. It was a great afternoon chatting with my brother and being in the shooting hut for several hours with just the frog and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment