Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Out To Lunch

I don’t know whether this is a good time to give a health update or not. It’s been kind of a rough couple of days. I held things together long enough to get through the hectic week but I could tell the toll was mounting. To make matters worse, Saturday evening I apparently didn’t eat the right combination of foods with my chemo. I got so sick that night that I wondered if I would ever stop vomiting. As I was hanging over the stool and conversing with the Lord, I was reminded that many cancer patients go through this every day. I only go through it that bad once in a while. So, I’m not complaining but since this is a health update, I will continue. Anyway, being so sick, took a lot out of me. I didn’t do much more than write the blog post Sunday and sleep. I didn’t feel much better on Monday but I made myself mow the yard and take care of a few other items. Accomplishing something always seems to make me feel better. Well, it didn’t work so well this time. Then, a friend called and invited me out to lunch; he even offered to pay. Although I didn’t really feel like it, how could I pass that up?!! So, he came and picked me up and we had a nice lunch and he even took me on a couple of errands afterwards. It brought more life to my systems and salve to my body still sore from all the vomiting. He came along at a good time today.
When our daughter got home from school, we talked about her day and her upcoming calendar of events. In the course of that discussion, she made the comment that a year ago we didn’t know how well I’d be doing right now. Similarly, Eileen recently reminded me that the medical literature said doing one load of laundry is a full day’s effort for those with my leukemic blood counts. Well, most days I do more than a load of laundry… and I’m grateful that I can and I’m grateful that I can push through the physical and mental barriers which want me to just lie down and quit. I’m also grateful to friends like you who pray for me and us, send me emails, call me, send cards, and of course my friend who took me out to lunch - - - and paid for it!!

2 comments:

  1. Great series of posts. Tough week in more ways than one, but it's clear empathy runs high in those whom you've touch and have touched you. I know that's a great comfort.

    Great pictures of Brenda's graduation and Stephy's band banquet. Two beautiful young ladies; good thing they picked up Eileen's looks...

    ReplyDelete